The solitude the two experienced did not
last long as word travelled quickly about the wondrous falls Brownlee had
found. Soon, hundreds of men came to steak their claim of gold. As weeks went
on, someone decided to find out how much the gold was actually worth. After
returning from Toronto the results were in. Iron Pyrite, also known as foolís
gold, had everyone wasting their precious time.
Although most miners left, some stayed and
settled the village we now know as Eugenia. In its early days, Eugenia had
several mills, a few general stores, a carriage factory, a blacksmith, a
shoemaker, as well as a couple carpenters. Two churches served area residents,
along with one schoolhouse.
The artificially made Lake Eugenia was
created in 1915. The Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario moved the power
plant that was formerly owned by the Georgian Bay Power Company. The newly
flooded the area gave the Commission more control over water levels and,
subsequently; more power generation. In the 1950ís Lake Eugenia began to
attract cottagers, which resulted in old cabins that were transformed into
And as they say, the rest is history!